I feel so defeated today. My liver enzymes are slightly elevated, so I have to get them checked in another 5 weeks with another MRI. A couple of nights ago, driving hom I was listening to NPR and a discussion on breast cancer and breast health. It was slightly depressing. http://www.npr.org/2010/12/14/131760656/a-breast-oncologist-diagnosed-with-the-disease
Last night I was researching, again, on treatments and info on MS. It is if the more I know, the more toxic I feel. We are surrounded by chemicals in our house, in our food, on our food, in the products we use. Our diets are so modified and refined that they lack in essential vitamins and minerals. The list is enormous as to what I should be putting in to make up for my deficiencies.
Basic Supplements – Essentials
- Vitamin D3: 6000-8000 IU
- This is best gotten from pills not associated with any vitamin A.
- Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids: 5 g of EPA+DHA
- This is best gotten from fish oil such as salmon oil (.3 grams EPA + DHA per 1 gram capsule). 1-2 tablespoons of cod liver oil is also an option but ensure that vitamin A content does not exceed 5000 IU. The addition of 1 tablespoon of flax oil can be of value because it contains alpha linolenic acid, a precursor to EPA and DHA.
- Calcium: 1000-1200 mg
- Magnesium: 500-600 mg
Basic Supplements – Vitamins
- Vitamin A: 5000 IU
- Vitamin B complex: 100 mg
- No flush Niacin (B3): 2 g
- Folic acid: 400 mcg
- Vitamin B12: 1-2 mg
- Vitamin C: 1 g
- Vitamin E (natural): 400 IU
Basic Supplements – Minerals
- Zinc: 25-50 mg
- Copper: 1-2 mg
- Selenium: 200 mcg
- Manganese: 20 mg
- Iodine: 200 mcg
Basic Supplements – Antioxidants
- Grape Seed Extract: 2-4 capsules
- Ginkgo Biloba: 120 mg
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: 1200 mg
- Coenzyme Q10: 60-90 mg
- EGCG Max (epigallocatechin-3-gallate): 2 capsules (700 mg each)
- Quercetin: 400 mg
- Bromelain: 400 mg
Basic Supplements – Probiotics
- Acidophilus – 6 to 9 capsules (2 to 3 with each meal)
Wow. Is there any food I should add? Everytime I punch in MS and …..( diet, supplements, treatments, alternative therapies…you name it) up to 6 million websites pop up. It is not easy to take control of you health.
Then I saw a faint spark of inspiration. Did you ever see the movie Lorenzo’s Oil?
It is a movie about a boy, Lorenzo Odone, who is diagnosed with ALD. It is a very specific recessive genetic disease that affects mostly young boys. It attacks and destroys the myelin. Sound familiar? MS does something similar, but is an autoimmune disease that attacks the myelin sheath scrambling messages to the brain. Anyway, his parents took on the medical community and eventually found what they thought was a cure in an oil. In ALD, the body can’t break down fatty molecules efficiently and there is a build up. Lorenzo’s oil is a combination of oils from olive oil and rapeseed oil that help the body break down long chain fatty acids. It is really an incredible story. unfortunately it is not a perfect cure. And it doesn not help rebuild destroyed myelin. But it is very inspirational and moving. Although Lorenzo has died ( he lived to be 30 WAY beyond what the dr. said) his parents effort still moves on with The Myelin Project.
SO back to food- here’s a deal for some Mexican Fare, wonder if it has lots of Omega’s?
$10 for $20 Worth of Mexican Cuisine and Drinks at Mi Chula’s http://www.groupon.com/dallas/deals/mi-chulas-good-mexican-dallas?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uu4254851
Don’t forget Project mom tickste for the spring are on sale www.projmom.com