Frozen Steamfresh veggies $.88
Pineapple $.99 each
Barilla pasta 10/$10
Hershey/Mars/Nestle snack size candy bags (halloween candy bags) $2 each stock up for Monday, plus there have been lots of coupons for Mars candy
Eggo Waffles 2/$5
Celery or yellow/orange peppers $.88 each
Green/red peppers $.49 each
Monday: Pasta and Sausage
- 3/4 pound pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and reserve.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and sausage; cook through until no longer pink. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add onion and garlic to skillet. Add broth, basil and tomatoes with liquid.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to slightly reduce. Add chopped spinach; cover skillet and simmer on reduced heat until spinach is tender.
- Add pasta to skillet and mix together. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
- 1-2 diced cooked sausage
- 3/4c. -1 c. frozen shredded hash browns
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Combine 2 parts ketchup to 1 part maple syrup and microwave for 25 seconds. Or top with sour cream.
Whip up a double batch and freeze half for up to three weeks—pop one in the toaster when you want an on-the-fly treat.
- In a medium skillet, heat the sausage over medium-high heat, for 2 minutes. Add the potato and butter, lower the heat and simmer until the butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in the milk and eggs until smooth. Stir in the sausage-potato mixture.
- Using a waffle maker, cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions.The next three days are recipes sent from my friend, Pam. She highly recommends them!WEDNESDAY: Baked Potato Soup (I have to use all the potatoes I practice cutting on)
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (I roasted the chopped potatoes at 400 for 20-30 minutes with olive oil)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used three shakes of tabasco)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.
Chicken and Rice Bake
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 55 min
2 Tbsp butter
1 (10oz) pkg frozen chopped onions
2 (10oz) pkgs steam in a bag brown and wild rice with broccoli and carrots
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 (14oz) can chicken broth
1 (10oz) can cream of chicken with herbs or just cream of chicken
1 (8oz) container sour cream
1 (8oz) container diced wather chestnuts, optional
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 400. Melt butter in a large skillet over med. heat. Add onions, and saute for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
2.Stir together frozen rice pkgs and next 6 ingredients; stir in onions. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with almonds if using.
3.Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until bubbly and almonds are lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes after you take it out.
Cut 4 cooked, smoked bratwurst links into thirds (or you can just slice up).
Brown in 2 Tbsp canola oil in a deep skillet for 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add 1 lg. onion cut into strips to skillet and saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add 2 Tbsp cider vinegar and 1 cup apple cider (or apple juice); reduce by half.
Add 1 lb (5 cups) of chopped or shredded cabbage, 2 apples sliced, 1 tsp caraway seeds, 1 Tbsp sage.
Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; return brats to mixture, cover, and cook 5 minutes more.
Serve with sour cream.