Head on over here to snag a FREE sample of John Frieda Frizz-Ease Smooth Start Repairing Shampoo & Conditioner and Original Strength Serum! Just fill out the form and answer a few questions.
Head on over here and fill out the form to request a FREE sample of 5-hour energy ($2.99 value!)… while supplies last! Limit one per person.
Head on over here to request a FREE sample of Metamucil MultiHealth Fiber, courtesy of Walmart.com! Just click the “Request a Sample” link to snag yours.
Head on over to Amazon.com where you can download Low-Fat Vegan Side Dishes For a Healthy Lifestyle (Scrumptious Vegan Delights Volume 2) for FREE for your Kindle. If you don’t have a Kindle, keep in mind that you can still read books on your computer or other mobile devices with the FREE Kindle Reading Apps found here.
I figured another “lite” meal plan might be in order after Valentines….I know I did my fair share of making, baking and eating!
Price Matching Ads: last week was not much of a sale week
Cheerios 4 for $10 or $2.50 each we are all loving the new PB cheerios
Nature Valley crunchy granola bars $2.50 each, love these too, but Walmart’s brand is just as good and cheaper
Green/Red Grapes $.79/lb
Strawberries 4 for $5 16 oz
Cabbage and onions $.49/lb
Betty Crocker muffin or brownie mix $1.99
Colgate 10 for $10
Monday: Quinoa Turkey Patties (makes about 24 small patties- smaller than your palm-about 3 bites)
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 12 ounces ground dark-meat turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 pinch ground allspice ( or cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 6 lettuce leaves, torn into large pieces
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin half-moons
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- sour cream or plain nonfat greek yogurt
- lemon zest
- mined garlic clove
- greek seasoning
- 6 pita breads
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a fine sieve; drain. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa; return to a boil. Stir quinoa; cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is tender but still chewy, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork; let cool.
- Put turkey, spices, mint, scallions, and salt in a clean bowl of the food processor; pulse until a smooth paste forms. Add quinoa; process until mixture clumps around the blade, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. With dampened hands, roll about 2 tablespoons quinoa mixture into a ball; flatten slightly, and set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining mixture to make 24 patties total.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat until hot. Working in batches, pan with cooking spray. Cook patties in skillet, turning once, until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer patties to a clean plate, and loosely cover with foil to keep warm.
- Mix cucumber, red onion, and tomato in a bowl
- Mix greek yogurt/sour cream with lemon zest, garlic, and greek seasoning
- In a pita place one or two patties, cucumber mixture and humus and/or yogurt dressing
Tuesday: Pita Pizza
A breakfast or snack idea:
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 small whole-wheat pita
- 2 or 3 dried apricots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sliced toasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Spread cheese onto pita. Top with apricots and almonds. Drizzle with honey.
- 1 pound dried whole-wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 1/2 ounces baby spinach, packed (2 1/2 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, for serving
- Tomatoes, cut into wedges, for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- *Meanwhile, combine toasted pumpkin seeds, parsley, chives, oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, the lemon zest, and 1 cup baby spinach in a food processor. Season with pepper, and pulse until well combined. ( See bottom for alternate pesto)
- Toss pasta with pesto mixture. Add reserved cooking liquid, and mix until pasta is well coated. Fold in remaining 1 1/2 cups baby spinach. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Divide among 6 bowls. Top each with a dollop of ricotta, and season with pepper. Serve with tomato wedges if desired.
- 1/4 avocado
- Coarse salt
- 2 slices seeded multigrain bread
- 3 ounces grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 mango, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
- Friday: Balsamic Ginger Cabbage cups
- 1 package ground chicken ( or use leftover cooked chicken)
- 1 cup(s) shredded carrots
- 1 can(s) (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, halved
- 1 c. chopped mushrooms
- 6 scallions, diagonally sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) Asian sesame salad dressing
- 1 savoy cabbage, steamed
- Garnish: hot pepper flakes (optional)
Asian Dressing (if you want to make your own)
- Cook chicken in a skillet, add carrots, water chestnuts, scallions and mushrooms.
- Add dressing
- Spoon into cabbage leaves. Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes, if using.