DEALS (any excuse for a sale….):
If you have a Blockbuster nearby, you may want to go here and click on the “Get My FREE Rental” link (bottom left) to print a coupon valid for a FREE $0.99 movie or game rental (expires 3/5)! You can check Blockbuster locations here.
head on over here to score a FREE 12-issue subscription to Caribbean Travel & Life magazine courtesy of MercuryMagazines.com. You do not need to enter any credit card info and you will never receive a bill.
Today 2/29 and tomorrow 3/1 only, you can snag a Medium 1 Topping Pizza from Papa John’s for ONLY 29¢ when you buy any Large Specialty Pizza at regular menu price. Just use the promo code MED29 at checkout to receive this discount.
In honor of Leap Day, Soffe.com is offering up 50% off all sale items with the code LEAP50,25% off all other items with the code LEAP25 and free shipping with a $29 purchase with the code FREELEAP (and yes, the codes can be stacked!). Use these codes to snag Juniors Hoodies for as low as $3.49, Tees as low as $1.49, underwear as low as $0.99 and much more! Please note that quite a few styles and sizes have already sold out, so you will likely want to make you purchase soon. You can also use the code 4SOFFE825 to snag $10 off your order of $40 or more
Through today, 2/29 only, The Children’s Place is offering up Free Shipping (no minimum and no coupon code needed) in celebration of Leap Day! Even sweeter, you can use the coupon codeR4G2012 to save an additional 20% off your entire order. Plus, there are a lot of items marked down in the Clearance section and Easter dresses are an additional 25% off (+ more!), so be sure to browse around!
In honor of Leap Day, Cardstore.com is offering up a FREE greeting card (with envelope) + FREE shipping! All you need to do is select and personalize your card, then enter the new coupon code CCC2029 during the final stage of checkout (after entering your shipping info).
GROCERY PRICE MATCH: again seafood is on sale this time of year
Tide and Gain $4.99
Lemons $.10 each
Avocados $.29 each
Cauliflower $.99 each
Lettuce $.88 each
Grapefruit 5 for $1
Chicken breasts $.78/lb
Coke 12 pks 3 for $10.88
Kraft Cheese $1.99
28oz Hunts crushed tomatoes $1.29
Alexia frozen potatoes $1.99 ( have you had Sonics sweet potato tots?? Oh my….so delicious!)
Kellogg Cocoa Krispies $1.99
Monday: Monte Cristo
8 slices Thick-cut White Bread
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
3/4 cup Milk
3/4 cup Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
4 Ham Slices
4 Smoked Turkey Slices
4 Fontina Cheese Slices
2 tablespoons Mustard
Pickled Jalapenos (to taste)
Salt and Pepper
Powdered sugar for garnish
Jam (your favorite)
Preheat a skillet with a thin coat of vegetable oil. In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the egg and milk. Stir in the flour and baking powder, then season with salt and pepper. Spread mustard on bread slices. Sandwich each piece of fontina cheese between one slice of turkey and one slice of ham. Add pickled jalapenos if desired and then sandwich between two pieces of bread. Batter the sandwiched evenly on all sides with the batter. Drop into the oil, and fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar and add a spoonful of your favorite jam. While the sandwiches cool, heat a little butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has foamed and subsided, crack each egg into the skillet and fry until the yolk is set. Serve a fried egg alongside each Monte Cristo.
Tuesday: Coq Au Vin
• 1/2 pound Thick Sliced Bacon (cut into lardons)
• 2 cup Frozen Pearl Onions
• 4 cup Crimini Mushrooms
• 6 Chicken Thighs (bone-in and skin-on)
• 1 cup Flour plus 2 tablespoons
• Olive Oil
• Freshly Ground Pepper
• 6 cloves Garlic (peeled and smashed)
• 12 sprigs Thyme
• 2 cup Red Wine
• 3 cup Chicken Stock
• 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
• 3 tablespoon Butter
Place a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the bacon and cook until it’s crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Next add the floured chicken to the pan and cook for a few minutes in the bacon fat until they slightly caramelize. Season them with some freshly ground black pepper. Add the mushrooms to the pan next in an even layer. Place that same pan over medium high heat and add 3 teaspoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken skin side down. After the chicken has browned on one side, flip it over to brown the other side, also adding the garlic cloves and thyme. When all of the chicken is evenly browned, remove it to a plate, then drain any fat left in the pan, leaving the thyme and garlic in the pan. Add the 2 tablespoon of flour and mix into juices. Add the red wine and bring it to a boil. Then add the chicken stock. At this point, remove the garlic cloves and thyme and discard. Place the chicken back into the liquid and pour the onions, mushrooms and bacon on top. Stir in the butter, and reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, then sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with your favorite accompaniment.
Wednesday: Chicken Kiev
• 1 cup Unsalted Butter (2 Sticks)
• 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill (Chopped)
• 2 tablespoon Parsley (Chopped)
• 1 tablespoon Chive (Thinly Sliced)
• Freshly Ground Black Pepper
• 6 6-ounce Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breasts
• 1 cup Flour
• 4 Eggs
• 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
• 2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
• Olive Oil
• 1/2 Lemon (Juiced)
• 1 Cucumber
• 3 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
• 4 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1/4 cup Fresh Dill (chopped)
To make the herb butter, combine the softened butter with the herbs (dill, parsley and chive) and season with salt and pepper. Scoop it into a line on a piece of plastic wrap. Roll it up, creating a log, and refrigerate for a few hours until firm or freeze it. After the butter has hardened, slice it into 12 pieces and set aside, keeping it chilled.
To prepare the chicken, cover your entire cutting board with plastic wrap. Lay out all of the chicken, leaving some space in between, and place another piece of plastic wrap on top. Pound the chicken out to ¼’ thickness. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap, and then season all of the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Next, place 2 slices of the herb butter in the center of each breast. Before you begin rolling the chicken, have a piece of plastic wrap next you, ready to go. Roll each breast up, tucking the sides in, and then place it on the plastic wrap, rolling it up really tightly. After all of the chicken breasts are rolled and individually wrapped tightly, refrigerate for 2 hours. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. While the pan heats up, whisk your eggs together with the Dijon. In a separate bowl, add your flour, seasoning it with salt and pepper. In another bowl, add your breadcrumbs. Unwrap all of the chicken and season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Begin breading the chicken by coating it in the flour, shaking off any excess. Next place it on the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off. Finally, place it in the breadcrumbs, coating it on all sides. Place the chicken on a plate while you bread the rest. Add about ¼ c of the olive oil to the preheated pan. Add all of the chicken to the pan and begin browning it on all sides. This will take about 12 minutes. Add more oil to the pan if it looks a bit dry. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and finish cooking it in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Squeeze some lemon juice over the top, slice and serve with your favorite accompaniments.
To make cucumber salad: In a small bowl whisk red wine vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the cucumber and add to the dressing. Top with chopped dill and toss.
- 1/2 pound thick sliced bacon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely diced 9 (or asparagus)
- 2 cups finely diced smoked ham,turkey or tofu
- 8 ounces Jack (pepper or plain) cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside. Cook spinach according to package instructions. Allow to cool, then squeeze dry.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft and translucent. Stir in mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Stir in ham and cooked bacon. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, sour cream, salt and pepper. Divide, and spread into pie crusts. Layer with bacon mixture. Mix together Monterey Jack, Cheddar and Parmesan, and sprinkle over pies. Whisk together eggs, half-and-half and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, and pour over pies.
- Place pies on baking sheet, and bake on middle shelf in preheated oven for 40 minutes. The top will be puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
Friday: Salisbury Steak and Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Instant Potato Flakes (soaked in 1/2 cup milk)
- 1 Lb Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 1/2 Onion minced
- 4 Tablespoons Butter or Oil
- 1 large Onion diced
- 1 Lb Cremini Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Cup golden cream of mushroom soup
- 2 shots Espresso or coffee
- 1 bunch Scallions chopped
- 1 1/2 Lb Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and quartred
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
In a large bowl combine the soaked potato flakes, beef, minced 1/2 onion, and season generously with salt and pepper and mix with hands it until it is thoroughly combined. Shape into 6 patties, about 1/2-inch-thick each. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow them to set.
In a large skillet set over medium high, heat 1 TB oil and cook the patties 5 minutes or so per side until they are well browned. Move the patties to one side of the pan and to the other add the remaining oil and cook the onions for 5 minutes until they are soft. Add mushrooms and salt and cook until their liquid is gone, about 6 minutes.
Add the cream of mushroom soup and espresso and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and cover, cooking the patties for 12 minutes or so until they are cooked through. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed. Fold in scallions.
In a large pot add potatoes and add water to cover by an inch. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, cream, and melted butter, along with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Using a potato masher to mash potatoes well. Use a spoon to beat to desired consistency.
Serve each steak with mashed potatoes, drizzle with gravy (if you like).Cocoa Krispie Bar1/2 stick butter1 bag marshmellows3/4 c. super chunky PB1/4 tsp salt1 c. mini chocolate chips8 cups cocoa krispiesIn a sauce pan (or in microwave) melt butter, marshmellows, PB and salt till smooth. Add in cereal and chips. Spread into a 9×13 pan lined with parchment paper and let cool. Enjoy!