I love breakfast.
These are my new addiction. So good. Cherry scones. Moist and delicious.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or other favorite dried fruit)
- In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the butter. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Mix in the raisins.
- Turn dough out, roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.
I could eat breakfast foods all day. For lunch I combine a sandwich and french toast. Think grilled cheese marries french toast. These are monte cristos and you can make them savory or sweet.
Sometimes they are served with jam and powdered sugar, on the sweet side, I decided just to have whole raspberries. I out a thin spread of mayo on each slice of bread (but you could do chutney, jam, whole grain mustard, butter, honey mustard…..skies the limit), then I placed 3 sliced of turkey and a slice of provolone (any meat and cheese will work). THen scramble one egg with about a tablespoon of cream or milk. Dip the sandwich in both sides and place in a butter hot skillet and cook like you would french toast. YUM.
Last night I combined 2 other favorites. Burgers and burritos.
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 can black beans
1/3 c. cooked rice
1 heaping Tbs. McCormick grill seasoning
1-2 tsp. cumin
Mix all together and form 4 patties. Cook on the grill or in a skillet. Serve on crusty rolls with guacamole, salsa, tomatoes and lettuce.