We are going into Easter and Passover. Since these are times of feasting, you will see ham and other holiday related food on sale this week. In college I cooked for Hillel and learned lots of Jewish meals. Do you have a special Easter or Passover meal? Leave a comment and let me know!
Also, with all the news about pink slim (see previous post) the major grocery stores said they would stop buying meat with pink slim and 3 of the plants closed down.
Steamfresh frozen vegetables $.79
Pork Loin .99/lb
English muffins $1.99
Yoplait go-gurt 2 for $4
Quacker granola bars $1.69
Cluster tomatoes $.88/lb
Blackberries/lettuce/celery/avocados/peppers $.88 each
Sweet potatoes $.88/lb
Kraft shredded cheese $1.97
MEATLESS MONDAY: Zucchini-parmesan pancakes
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and grated by hand
- 3 medium zucchini, seeded and grated by hand
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese grated
- 6 T. matzo meal or fine bread crumbs
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup beer
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Wrap vegetables in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid. Mix with cheese,matzo, sugar, lemon, garlic ,eggs, and beer.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat 1/8 inch oil for 1 minute. Add batter by tablespoons; flatten to form pancakes. Cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 more minute; transfer to a paper towel. Serve with sour cream.
- Place ham on rack in shallow roasting pan. Make cuts about 1/2 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep in diamond pattern around top and sides of ham. Brush with 3 tablespoons of the preserves mixture. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer in thickest part of ham.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Brush remaining preserves mixture over ham. Bake about 45 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 140°F. Remove ham from oven, cover with tent of foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes for easier carving.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium. Add onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add peas; cover skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are warmed through and tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining tablespoon butter; stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with racks in upper and lower third positions. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper. Work butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or your fingers until butter is incorporated and pea-size lumps remain. Stir in cheddar, then buttermilk and chives, just until dough comes together.
- Using two spoons, drop 1/4 cup quantities of dough onto prepared baking sheets, spaced 2 inches apart.
- Bake in oven until golden brown, 12-14 minutes, rotating baking sheets once.
WEDNESDAY: Hand Pies
- Store bought Filo or Pie crust
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 leek (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick, and rinsed well
- 1 small bunch kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked chicken, torn into bite-size pieces (about 5 ounces)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay out 5 sheets of filo OR (With a knife or biscuit cutter, cut out six 4 1/4-inch circles and transfer, on parchment, to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, cutting out six (larger) 4 1/2-inch rounds. Chill rounds on sheet until ready to use)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add leek and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add kale and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook until kale wilts, 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to combine. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens, 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and stir in chicken. Let cool slightly.
- Place a heaping 1/4 cup chicken mixture on the 5 sheets filo and fold to make a rectangular “package”. Brush with butter OR place 1/4 c. chicken mixture on each of the smaller dough rounds, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Brush edges with egg and top with larger dough rounds; using fingers, press edges firmly to seal. Cut a small vent in each pie. Bake until browned and crisp, 30 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let cool slightly on sheets on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
3 large chicken breasts
5 C corn flakes/ bread crumbs
3/4 C flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 C milk
6 T olive oil
1 12 oz package bowtie noodles (farfalle)
1 10 oz container Philadelphia Cooking Cream (Italian Cheese and Herb Flavor)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 C chicken broth
1/2 C milk
fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Place the flour, milk and crushed cornflakes each into their own separate pan. Place your chicken breasts in a gallon sized Ziploc bag and seal the top. Pound the chicken flat with a meat mallet.
Take a pair of sharp kitchen scissors and cut each breast in half.
Dredge the chicken in the flour. Lay the floured chicken onto a small cookie sheet and slide the sheet into the freezer about 5 minutes. Start cooking your pasta. Remove the chicken from the freezer and dredge each piece in the milk and then immediately into the corn flake crumbs. Add the olive oil to skillet, Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes till golden,Turn the pieces over. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Let the chicken cook for about 7 more minutes,remove chicken, pour in sauce ingredients, wisk and cook 3 minutes. Serve with chicken cut in strips and pasta
Cool Sites and Deals:
Hurry on over here to snag a FREE Sample of Garnier Ultra-Lift 2 In 1 Wrinkle Reducercourtesy of Walmart.com.
If you’re looking to save on Easter crafts, supplies, or home decor, this coupon’s for you! Today 3/28 and tomorrow 3/29 only, score 15% off your entire purchase at Michael’s (including sale items!). Just go here to print the coupon or pull it up on your smartphone while shopping.
Hurry on over here to request a FREE sample of Sani-Hands wipes, courtesy of Walmart.com! You’ll also be able to print a new coupon for these wipes.