With three kids I OFTEN get distracted, pulled away, (forgetful even) when cooking. So, a new trick I found, is when boiling water with pasta, potatoes, or whatever, I place a wooden spoon over the top and it (has yet) never boiled over making a huge mess and putting out the gas flame. It is amazing- try it!
Best Wheat Bran Muffins – My friend Amie was inspired by a muffin she had. I have to say I ate these three at a time.
1 cup raisins
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup all-purpose flour,
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with 18 paper liners. Soak raisins in 1 cup hot water until soft, about 10 minutes; drain raisins.
. In a medium bowl, combine bran, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, stir together yogurt, brown sugar, molasses, butter, egg, and raisins. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine; fold in pineapple. Divide batter evenly among liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
This week’s meal plan was based on sales I saw in the grocery circulars. Kroger has chicken thighs on sale $.99/lb, lots of fresh vegetables in season, stock and on sale! Have a great veggie recipe or summer salad? Send it to me!
Meatless Monday: grilled veggie pizza
Zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
Green Onions, trimmed
Summer squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
Flat bread (pitas or nan)
Heat grill. Toss veggies in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill 4 minutes for green onions and 1-2 for zucchini and squash. Grill bread a few minutes. Take the bread off when grilled and place a spoonfull of ricotta, spread it around and top with grilled veggies.
MAKE AHEAD: grill extra veggies for another night–see friday
Tuesday: Spiced chicken and chickpea salad
1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 cucumber, sliced thin
1/2c. torn basil leaves
1 red onion sliced into thin strips
2 Tbs Olive oil/2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbs sesame seeds
2 tsp paprika
8 bone in chicken thighs
In a bowl, toss chickpeas, cucumber, basil, onion, oil and vinegar and a little salt and pepper. Heat grill. Rub chicken with a little olive oil. Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds and paprika. Grill 9-10 minutes per side. Serve with salad.
Wednesday: Layered Enchiladas
1lb ground beef, cooked
about 15 corn tortillas torn into pieces
1 can enchilada sauce
8 oz. sour cream
3 green onions chopped
1 pkg. shredded cheese
In a casserole dish pour about 1/2c. enchilada sauce on bottom. Place one layer of torn tortillas, 1/2 the ground beef, 1/2 c. enchilada sauce, sour cream, 1/2 pkg of shredded cheese. Layer with tortillas, beef, 1c. enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 covered for about 30-40 minutes. Serve with a green salad.
Thursday: Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1-2 c. baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked white rice (about 3/4 cup uncooked rice)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- In a wok or large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, lightly beat eggs with 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce to combine. Add eggs to wok and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Cook, without stirring, until almost set, 1 minute, then fold in thirds with a spatula. Transfer cooked eggs to a work surface and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger, and scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add carrots, peas, spinach and rice and stir to combine. Add cooked egg, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 1 minute. Let cook, undisturbed, until warm, about 1 minute. Top with scallion greens and serve.
If you grill extra vegetables from Monday toss them with some pasta and pesto for a grilled pasta ratatouille ( squash, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, whatever you like!)