Halloween is a week away. Have you stocked up on your candy yet?
Watch for baking items to go on sale through the holiday season.
Monday: Blender Tortilla Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
In a blender add:
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 red bell pepper OR 4 strips of jarred roasted red peppers
2 whole mushrooms
1 diced carrot
1/4 onion chopped
1 whole garlic clove
1 stalk celery chopped
1/4 yellow squash chopped
1 cup HOT water
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbs. taco seasoning
Add any add in and bend soup again. Serve with avocado slices, tortilla chips or cheese.
Additional add ins: 1/2 c. canned corn, 1/2 c. canned black beans, jarred jalapeno/green chilies, 1/4 c. pitted black olives, cooked chicken, 1/2 c. crushed tortilla chips
Tuesday: Stuffed Mushrooms and Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
1 pkg sausage
1 box (8oz) cream cheese
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 large pkg mushrooms
Cook sausage. Add cream cheese and mix till soft and incorporated. Add parmesan. Remove stems from mushrooms and lay on a baking sheet. Fill mushrooms. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes.
In a pot of boiling water, par boil brussels sprouts till just before tender. Remove to an ice water bath to stop cooking. Slice in half. Chop 2 pieces of bacon. In a skillet cook bacon. Remove, but keep bacon grease. Add brussels sprouts and 1 tbs butter and 1 tsp salt. Sautee till golden and add bacon back and 1/2 c. walnuts.
Wednesday: Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
1 pkg ground turkey
1 clove garlic
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbs fresh Thyme (0r 1 tsp dried)
SAUCE: 1/3 c. ketchup, 1 Tbs brown sugar, 1 Tbs yellow mustard
In a food processor, process carrot, onion, mushroom and garlic. In a large bowl mix veggies, meat, egg, bread crumbs and seasoning. Place into a loaf pan top with sauce and bake 375 for an hour.
Thursday: Sliced Beef and Eggs (Can be made the day before and refrigerated)
Sauce: (Cream Gravy)
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve drippings) – (Could use Bacon Bits)
2 Tbs butter or margarine
2 – 2 1/2-oz. pkgs. pressed sliced beef ( I like corn beef- I had 1/2 lb sliced from the deli)
1 lb. fresh mushrooms ( I used the leftover stuffed mushrooms for earlier)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cups milk
Egg and Cheese Mixture: (Scrambled Eggs)
16 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
While bacon is draining, melt butter with bacon drippings in a large skillet. Snip beef into small bite-size pieces with scissors and add to the skillet. Slice mushrooms in half and saute with beef for 3 minutes. Add flour and pepper and stir. Gradually add milk, stirring until mixture begins to thicken. Add bacon and set aside.
Combine eggs, evaporated milk and salt and mix thoroughly. Melt butter in a large pan over medium low heat, add eggs and scramble gently until eggs are cooked but still moist. Oil a 3-quart casserole dish and add layers of sauce, eggs, sauce, cheese, eggs, sauce and cheese. Cover casserole dish tightly. Refrigerate until ready to cook. Heat 1 hour at 275 degrees.
* Time saver- I also like Jiffy’s pizza mix. Just add water and roll out the dough!
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 egg, beaten
- To Make Dough: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, sugar and salt; mix in 1 cup of the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the rest of the flour, until dough is smooth and workable. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, or until it is elastic. Lay dough in a bowl containing 1 teaspoon olive oil, then flip the dough, cover and let rise for 40 minutes, or until almost doubled.
- To Make Filling: While dough is rising, combine the ricotta cheese, Cheddar cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms and basil leaves in a large bowl. Mix well, cover bowl and refrigerate to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375 .
- When dough is ready, punch it down and separate it into 2 equal parts. Roll parts out into thin circles on a lightly floured surface. Fill each circle with 1/2 of the cheese/meat filling and fold over, securing edges by folding in and pressing with a fork. Brush the top of each calzone with egg and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Serve hot.