After the juice fast I still have been having a juice for breakfast every morning. I got the Hubby on board and he has sung nothing but praises to how well he has been feeling on different levels. I have noticed a difference as well as to how I have been feeling getting in so much more nutrients from fruits and vegetables.
This week we have been back to routine with kids in school, swim lessons, awanas, and girl scout cookie sales start friday!
Monday: Soup and Sandwiches
4 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 whole Carrots, Scrubbed Clean And Diced
3 stalks Celery, Diced
6 whole Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
1 cup Milk
½ cups Heavy Cream ( or 1/2 & 1/2)
½ teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
Black Pepper To Taste
1 cup Grated Cheese
Add bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
Return the hot to medium-high heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper.
Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to get tender. Whisk together the flour and the milk, then pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
Puree soup in blender (or with an emersion blender to desired consistency) Serve in bowls garnished with parsley, grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces.
1 pkg. Sara Lee small dinner rolls
1 pkg (1/2 lb) sliced ham, diced
1-2 Tbs Mayo
1 Tbs mustard
1-2 tsp. Worcestshire
1 stick butter softened
6 slices swiss cheese
Mix ham, mayo, mustard, butter, worcestshire and ham (you can do this in a food processor). Slice rolls in half ( I try to keep them intact in a sheet when I cut) Spread mixture on and top with cheese. Put roll tops on, wrap in foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Tuesday: Quesadillas with roasted vegetables
Roast whatever you have on hand (Kale, squash, sweet potato, carrot, mushroom…..) and place inbetween 2 tortillas with cheese.
Wednesday: Creamy Pasta Pea Pesto
- 1 cup Peas (thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
- 2 cloves Garlic, Peeled
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan (additional)
- 12 ounces, weight Pasta (cavitappi, Fusili, Etc.)
- 2 whole Tomatoes, Diced
Cook pasta until al dente.
Add peas, 1/2 cup Parmesan, pine nuts, and salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Turn machine on, then drizzle in olive oil while it mixes. Continue blending until combined, adding additional olive oil if needed. Set aside.
Heat cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add pesto and stir.
Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Pour pesto cream over the top. Toss to combine. Add diced tomatoes and toss quickly. Serve immediately.
Thursday: Stir Fry
2 cups white rice
4 cups water
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Friday: Birthday Hot Beef Sandwiches, gravy and mashed potatoes
Making a birthday dinner for a friend of ours. He requested hot beef sandwiches and a german chocolate cake. I am making a triple chocolate bundt cake (it’s my new standard birthday cake) with a coconut pecan layer in the middle.
- (4 to 5-lb.) beef rump roast
- (1-oz.) pkg. dry onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- (10 1/2-oz.) cans condensed beef broth
- (12-oz.) can beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- onion buns, split
- Place beef roast in 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. In medium bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except buns; mix well. Pour over roast.
- Cover; cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker; place on cutting board or large plate. Slice beef with knife or shred with 2 forks; place in buns. If desired, skim fat from juices in slow cooker.
4 cups reserved juices
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 cups flour
2 cups water
Whisk flour and water together for gravy until smooth and set aside.
When roast is tender and done, pour broth into a saucepan and bring to boil on stove top.
Add 2 beef bouillon cubes to boiling broth.
Then add flour and water mixture to boiling broth until desired consistency is reached for your gravy.